Tom Karlin took his own life on November 5, 2011. The action took his friends and family completely by surprise, and compelled them to address teen depression and suicide prevention. To that end, the Karlins established the Tom Karlin Foundation. Founded in 2012, by Joe and Amy Karlin, the Tom Karlin Foundation is a 501C3 charitable organization. The foundation seeks to partner with schools and other community organizations to increase awareness of issues affecting teen's lives and support suicide prevention efforts by:
- hosting community events like Tom's Turkey Trot in November
- sharing Tom's story and practical resources with students in middle school and high school, and with other community groups
- collaborating to resource suicide prevention education and programming
- raising funds to support the work
- supporting teens to create a positive school environment and graduate together
- increasing awareness of root causes of depression and suicide such as childhood trauma, bullying, and LGBT
Note: The Tom Karlin Foundation is not a counseling service. If you or someone you love needs help, please contact The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, 1-800-273-8255. If this is an emergency go to the nearest emergency room or call 911.