You can make a difference in the lives of friends, family members, classmates, and co-workers by taking these simple steps.
- Give your attention, not advice
- Don’t be judgmental or sworn to secrecy
- Offer hope
- Voice your concerns
- Listen and watch for warning signs of depression and suicide
- Invite people to share their feelings
- Take time to let the person express feelings, don’t lecture or debate, don’t be shocked
- Acknowledge: the person's pain; don’t minimize it
- Care: express care and concern
- Treatment: go with the person to a counselor, coach, or parent; call 911 if someone is making a suicide threat
Check out the resources on our blog.